Wednesday, September 12, 2018

I Don't Cook Much, But I sometimes Stir The Pot!!

Well, it's been a little while. About 4 years I think. I have considered picking this back up from time to time, but never felt quite compelled enough...until tonight.

We have been studying through Titus on Wednesday nights at church.  I almost didn't go tonight because I was supposed to work at our concession booth at the fair, but there were more than enough people, so I went on to church, and I am so glad I did.

Before I get to the heart of what I want to share, just a little "scene setting" I need to do. The political climate in this country is making me insane.  Not just the political climate, although that is where most of it seems to stem from, but all the hate and anger and division we are now experiencing. It really is making me crazy. It sometimes contributes to my anxiety, it sometimes makes me irrationally angry...and it always seems to make me a little bit sad.  But, if you turn on a TV, pick up a newspaper (yes, they still exist) or scroll through FaceBook, you can't avoid it.  For a little while now, there has been a nagging thought working its way through my brain, and it finally came to fruition tonight. There are times that I feel so righteously indignant about something, or so hurt, or so sad and/or frustrated about something I have read, heard or seen online, that I feel as if I HAVE to share a post, update my status or comment on someone's status. I do this because I just know that what I have to say will end world hunger, bring about world peace or, at the very least, change someone's mind to see things my way. Because really, MY side is the right side. Isn't it? Isn't that how we all feel? Maybe not exactly like that, but to some extent...if we're being honest.

I started to just condense this and put it as my FB status, but I decided to do this instead, as much for my self as for the 4 other people that might actually read this.  So...

As of tonight, I pledge, to the absolute best of my ability,to stop stirring the pot.

No more shares of political videos, memes or articles. No kind of snide, kind of passive aggressive, or even flat out aggressive status updates. No more hate. No more intimidation. (Because really, that's what so much of it is!) No more. Just. No. More. And here is why...

Titus 3:8-11
8)The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. 9)But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. 10)As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11)knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. 
And this:
 Romans 12: 18 & 21:
 18)If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

 21)Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
 All of Titus 3 has been speaking to this issue. All of Titus has spoken to me in different ways. Who knew such a small book could have such an impact! But pay careful attention to verse 9..."avoid foolish controversies...dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless." (Emphasis mine)

 All of the "discussions" I have with people, all of the shared  posts, all of it...they are unprofitable and worthless. Unprofitable. Worthless. 

Everywhere you turn, people are spewing hate and creating division. And it seems these very same people are crying about the hate and division. Yet no one seems to want to do anything about it. You hear the cry of "Unity"...while at the same time, fingers are pointed at some "group" that isn't doing what they are "supposed" to do, whatever it is. I have often lamented the fact that "it seems you can be anything nowadays...except a Christian." But it is the Christians that are letting this world down. We are the ones that truly have the answer, yet why would anyone listen to us when we are often screaming just as loud, or even louder that the rest of the world. We are acting like the rest of the world, then wonder why they don't want to hear what we have to say. And I really don't want to be that way anymore. I am a changed person. I have been redeemed. I have had chains broken. I am NOT the same person I was 24 years ago. Not even 3 years ago.I have been given the greatest gift one can possibly receive, and I have been taking it for granted. I have been acting like the world. Tonight, it stops.

I want to live peaceably. I want to avoid foolish controversies and dissensions. I want to build up, rather than tear down. And I am going to try...with all of the grace, mercy and power God gives me...I am going to.

































No comments:

Post a Comment