Monday, October 17, 2011

I am a single woman

As a single woman, I have come to realize a few things.  What I am about to post does not apply to every single woman of course, but here are some things I have been thinking about lately.  In today's economy, in the industry I work in and the job I do, I will never make enough money to own my own house.  I cannot presently afford to live on my own and have a new car at the same time. Heck, right now I can't afford to live on my own, never mind the new car. I will never be able to quit work and just stay home. I will probably never hear a child call me Mommy, or a husband call me sweetheart.  I don't have anyone to go to sleep with, and no I do not mean sex.  I mean someone to snuggle with, or complain to that they snore, or someone to wake up with in the morning.  I do not have someone to share all the responsibilities of life with.  And before some well meaning person points out that "hey, at least you can come and go as you please without having to report to anyone", that is not true.  I live with my Mother, so yes I have to call and tell her if I won't be home right away or if I want to go away for the weekend.  Also, I do have to share the remote.  She has her show and I have mine, so most of the time I am in my room and she is in the living room.  And no, my cats are not human children, but I still have responsibilities to them and have to make sure they are fed and taken care of.  And they do not have welfare for pets.  I average $700 a year just for cat food alone, never mind if one gets bitten by a spider and has to go to the vet like Leo did this summer.  I do not qualify for ANY form of government help.  I am a single white woman over the age of 40 who has no children.  I am a minority, yet that gets me nothing.  So, think about this next time you are tempted to say you wish you were still single or wished you had never gotten married or had children: there is a woman out here who would give everything to have what you take for granted.  A woman who would love to be woken up at 3:00 in the morning by her child for any reason.  A woman who would love to get ill at her husband because he didn't take the trash out or forgot to put the toilet seat down again or whatever 'boneheaded' thing he did now.  And remember that the only thing that woman ever wanted to be was a wife and mother.  Since kindergarten.  Just a wife and mother.  And think about how bad her heart is breaking tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment